The following article applies to sellers with Professional selling plans only.
The Buy Box is the box on a product detail page where customers can begin the purchasing process by adding items to their shopping carts.
A key feature of the Amazon website is that multiple sellers can offer the same product. If more than one eligible seller offers a product, they may compete for the Buy Box for that product.
To give customers the best possible shopping experience, sellers must meet performance-based requirements to be eligible to compete for Buy Box placement. For many sellers, Buy Box placement can lead to increased sales.
Become Buy Box eligible
What is the Buy Box?
The Buy Box is the display on a product detail page with the Add to Cart button that customers can use to add items to their shopping carts. When one of your listed items appears as the default on the product page, you “win” the Buy Box, increasing your chances of selling that item.
How can I become eligible?
If you’re a Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) seller, you’re automatically eligible to win the Buy Box. If you’re not, you must meet all of the conditions listed below. Amazon does not guarantee placement in the Buy Box.
- Type of selling account: You must have a professional account. Here’s how you can upgrade.
- Metrics: Your Order Defect Rate, Cancellation Rate, and Late Shipment Rate are metrics that determine eligibility—the better you perform, the higher your chances are of becoming Buy Box eligible. You can see how you’re doing on the Account Health page.
- Order volume: So that Amazon can accurately assess your performance, we require that you have sufficient order volume (which varies among categories).
How do I check if my items are eligible?
You can find out if any of your items are eligible for the Buy Box:
- First, ensure seller eligibility (see above).
- In Seller Central, go to your Manage Inventory page and then click Preferences.
- Select Buy Box Eligible, and at the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
The Buy Box Eligible column will display the status for each of your ASINs.
Winning the Buy Box
Becoming eligible to win the Buy Box doesn’t guarantee that you will win it; that said, there are a few things you can do to increase your chances.
I. Price your items competitively
There are a few of ways to check and make sure you’re pricing your items competitively.
- Visit the Manage Pricing page where the Buy Box Price column shows the winning offer, even if it isn’t yours.
- See the Pricing Dashboard for real-time data about your prices and how they compare to other offers.
- View your pricing recommendations in the Selling Coach Pricing Report.
II. Offer Prime and free shipping
Sellers who offer faster shipping options are more likely to win the Buy Box. You can look up your available options in Shipping Settings.
III. Provide great customer service
We measure customer service in several different ways, and you can check your Account Health to see how you’re doing. While certain metrics such as Order Defect Rate, Cancellation Rate, and Late Shipment Rate may weigh more heavily when considering Buy Box status, we consider all the available metrics.
Staying tuned in to all aspects of your account health is a great way to not only make sure you’re working toward winning the Buy Box, but also earning customer respect and trust.
IV. Keep stock available
You can’t win the Buy Box if you’re out of stock. Keep your inventory updated and plan accordingly for things that sell quickly.
The Amazon Selling Coach can show you low and out-of-stock inventory alerts, letting you know, in real time, when it’s time to stock up.
Other options if you don’t win the Buy Box
Listings that do not win the Buy Box are eligible for placement in the More Buying Choices box (but please note that Amazon doesn’t guarantee placement in either of these locations).